Saturday, June 10, 2006

waiting to race

I am trying really hard not to start each update with "man, it's late, I'm tired and need sleep, etc." but this time it's totally true.  It's past 10 pm, I've been at the RAAM headquarters since early this morning and I'm just cooked.  I had forgotten how much the logistics of the days leading up to the RAAM really hurt.  We spent loads of energy going through everything and it's going to hurt tomorrow.
 
Between the automobile checks, bike checks, clothing checks, photo shoots, rider meetings and waiting around for them...it was a day to forget.
 
But, I am motivated!  I will be leading the team off at the end of the parade zone; a 13 mile neutral stretch along the San Luis Ray bike path designed for media and companionship before the seriousness starts.  We'll be finishing the parade at the corner of College Ave., then we picked random numbers for the send off order, much like a time trial race.
 
We are team #1 because I just happen to pick the first number!  I will be doing the first 8 mile section in my full time trial get up....TT bike, aero helmet, disk, etc.  My goal is to average just about 30 miles per hour for the 8 miles...  I'll be happy with anything under 17 minutes.
 
This ought to give us a minute or so on the other teams, which will be a good start to us winning the race.
 
All of that aside, I will carry with me the thoughts of Erika and every person who's touched by cancer.
 
Oh, by the way, the results of my blood test came back last week and my white blood counts are low and the doc wants to see me.  I actually had two lumps removed from my left breast in March 2000.  Given that history, the doc wants to run me through the tests again.  It's nothing serious, but it'll be good to be cautious.
 
Okay, off to bed I go.  We will email updates from the road and I'm hoping they will get posted automatically.   I never know about technology!!!
 
Thanks for reading,
Kam
 
Kam Zardouzian
Kam Zardouzian
Chief Instigator
Raceplan Coaching & Racing
Kam@Raceplan.com
http://www.raceplan.com
mobile: 858-414-2624
Add me to your address book... Want a signature like this?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
=================
National Director of Collegiate Cycling
USA Cycling
719.201.1004
=================
Founder
Del Mar Criterium Series
=================
Come Race with us at the RAAM
 

No comments: