Monday, March 13, 2006

RE: Livin' La Vida Domestica

Thanks for sharing this Kimmie. It's takes major guts to not only race in
the elements, but to sacrifice yourself for a teammate. I hope Ann realizes
she owes you one!

Either way, great job with this race. It's great to hear that your fitness
is coming along well along with your confidence. Keep building on both and
let's pick out a major race for you this season...it doesn't have to be
collegiate. Take a look at the calendar and let me know.

As for the technical...who really knows. I know the folks at Sprocket's do
a bang-up job but perhaps the lower limit adjustment on the front chain ring
slipped their watchful eye...or perhaps the change in temperature messed
with your adjustments...or both. It's an unfortunate variable in our lovely
sport.

Next time your chain slips, try shifting into the big chain ring...this
usually puts the chain back on track and you won't need to stop. But, this
is easier said than done if you're doing up hill.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim White [mailto:white@chemistry.ucsc.edu]
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 12:41 PM
To: Kam Zardouzian
Subject: Livin' La Vida Domestica

Kim's Monterey Circuit Race Report:

Weather: shitty. Started clear-ish but didn't last long. Sprinkles turned
into insane downpour and even hail for a bit. I gained 5 lbs in 1 minute.
My toes were sloshing around and I was having trouble even holding onto my
hoods on the hills. The pavement pooled water- lovely.

I had one teammate out there, Ann, who needed 1 pt to upgrade. She attacked
early. I could have but didn't follow.

So, for the whole race I :
1. sat in
2. slowed the pace when I got to the front 3. wouldn't pull I wasn't very
popular as you can imagine. I could have bridged several times but would
likely have pulled a few girls with me. I'd say I was riding at 85-90 % and
could have ridden at 90-95%.

I was surprised that 130 ft of rise over 2.6 miles actually was a bit hilly.
3 sharp rises that I was tackling a bit more easily that most so that was
good.

The only thing that really sucked was that my chain dropped and I had to
stop to put it back on. Chasing was horrible, but I caught back on to the
1st chase group. I just had my bike tuned up at Sprockets, am I doing
something wrong to make it fly off when going big to little?

Got beat out by a speedy girl from Alto Vela and one girl form stanford at
the final sprint. 2 girls form stanford, I chased the wrong one and the
other hopped on my wheel and sling-shotted around me. Oh, well, we were out
of points anyways. I got somewhere around 9th-10th out of 20-something.

Not an eventful or satisfying race.

Kim

--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 268.2.1/279 - Release Date: 3/10/2006

--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 268.2.2/280 - Release Date: 3/13/2006

No comments: