Wednesday, July 06, 2005

New Training

It's the beginning of July and my season is over!
 
That's amazing to me because when I was in Colorado I'd just be peaking around this time.  Certainly my friends in the Rocky Mountains are all starting to race more.  But not for this newly planted SoCal Boy.  I'm all done!  The TT season picks back up in September so I'm taking a bit of a breather, especially after the RAAM, and then hitting the gym and building base miles.
 
I'm looking forward to a little surf trip my buddy Chris Miller has planned.  We'll be surfing the warm water of Sinaloa July 17-24th and I am really, really ready for it!
 
After that, I've built a pretty aggressive schedule to utilize the great strength that I've been able to keep through the season.  My base building schedule will call for 6 days of riding, two days in the gym and a power Yoga class per week.  I thought about incorporating some running and swimming into the mix, but after one run I realized I wasn't into it.  If it guaranteed that I would shed 10Lbs., I'd do it.  But I know I can accomplish this through riding and gym alone.
 
My schedule will look something like this:
Monday: Gym
Tuesday: 2hr lunch ride, a bit of intensity, followed by Yoga at night
Wednesday: 4-5hrs endurance ride; I'll hit the Wednesday ride and mix it up a bit, but will keep HR below 85% max.
Thursday: 2hr lunch or afternoon ride with a bit of intensity
Friday: hour easy spin
Saturday: 4hrs climbing endurance; Swami's ride in east county
Sunday: 3-4hrs chill ride up the coast
 
I'm giving this schedule a try over the next two weeks just to see if it needs to be modified or not.  Today was my first Wednesday ride; 4hrs almost to the second and 75 miles.  Most of it was solo into a slight but steady cross wind.  Coming back I was lucky to work with a 6 person group but almost went down when someone didn't point out a major crack in the road.  I ruined my rim and got a slow flat but did not go down, which is always good.  Overall, I felt strong during the whole ride and rate is at a 7 out of 10.  The only pain I had was the slight saddle sore that's developing!!!
 
Kam
 
Kam Zardouzian
Senior Coach & Founder Raceplan Coaching & Racing
Kam@raceplan.com
www.raceplan.com
tel:
mobile:
858-414-2624
858-414-2624
Add me to your address book... Want a signature like this?
 

No comments: